OpenBIM is a universal approach to the collaborative design, realization and operation of buildings based on open standards and workflows. OpenBIM is an initiative of buildingSMART and several leading software vendors using the open buildingSMART Data Model.
Example of using OpenBIM : Case Studies
OpenBIM: Why is it important?
- OpenBIM supports a transparent, open workflow, allowing project members to participate regardless of the software tools they use.
- OpenBIM creates a common language for widely referenced processes, allowing the industry and the government to procure projects with transparent commercial engagement, comparable service evaluation and assured data quality.
- OpenBIM provides enduring project data for use throughout the asset life-cycle, avoiding multiple input of the same data and consequential errors.
- Small and large (platform) software vendors can participate and compete on system-independent, ‘best-of-breed’ solutions.
- OpenBIM energizes the online product supply side with more exact user demand searches, and delivers the product data directly into the BIM.
About buildingSMART International
buildingSMART is the worldwide authority driving transformation of the built environment through the creation and adoption of open, international standards.